Re: Still on Copyright

bmaxey1@juno.com
Date: 02/17/01-09:21:18 PM Z

>>In any case, what is the consideration for copyright of these messages?

Interesting point. If you read the rules of many lists, there is some
form of copyright claimed. Therefore, in order to cut and paste, we most
likely might need permission. It is seriously doubtful if there could be
a case because the practice of cutting and pasting responses is a regular
part of using mailing lists. There is no possible way anyone would bother
to sue and if they did, it is doubtful if you would win.

The practice has gone on far too long, with tens of thousands of e-mail
lists and there would be no hopes of winning any judgement, should
someone decide that they want to raise the issue. Privacy can't be
claimed the vast majority of mailing lists are open to anyone and
everyone; even though you must subscribe.

So, as I see it, we all cut and paste and if this is a list where
permission to re[produce the information not expressly granted, we are
all guilty of infringement. How can we possibly complain about this
happening to us with other material?

Silly isn't it? Having posted the above, you must consider that there are
many lawyers out there who have tired of ambulances and are finding the
Internet a great place to troll for clients.

Bob