Re: FW: Still on Copyright

From: Darryl Baird (dbaird@flint.umich.edu)
Date: 03/11/01-01:49:57 PM Z

Ok, if I might offer a small correction to the registration of copyright
issue that Bob and Callie are at odds about... "statutory" copyright
occurs at creation, but formal copyright registration of material allows
one to sue AND collect damages. You could sue someone for copyright
infringement, win, but only be able to stop their unauthorized usage
with the simple statutory version. Really, I don't think there is much
we can't sue for, but collecting damages is a much more rigorous task.

Tad Crawford is the best source for this info, he was retained initially
by the ASMP in the 80s to represent the membership in D.C. over some
ugly legislation the government had enacted that hurt photographers and
went from there to become a real copyright pro, with many books on the
subject.

--
Darryl Baird