Kodak Makes Double-XX again.....Really!

From: Frank Filippone (red735i@earthlink.net)
Date: 03/20/01-11:27:32 AM Z

There is a catch.....

Kodak Improves
Two Black-And-White Films

ROCHESTER, NY, March 20-Kodak has introduced markedly improved versions of
the company's two popular black-and-white motion picture negative films. The
new films incorporate advances in base and manufacturing technologies with
an emphasis on improving ruggedness and physical performance.
"Our goal is to leverage advances in technology to enable filmmakers to
record pristine black-and-white images," says Marian Herz, product marketing
manager for Kodak's Entertainment Imaging division. "This is another paint
for their palette. We designed and developed physical characteristics for
these films based upon suggestions made by cinematographers who choose to
work in black-and-white format for aesthetic reasons."
The new films have the same subtleties in tone scale that filmmakers expect.
The main improvements are in physical performance, including a
scratch-resistant backing enhanced with a built-in lubricant. It also has a
rugged top layer that protects the emulsion during transport in the camera
and in processing at the laboratory. These improvements allow better
transport and reduced noise characteristics in the camera. The new films are
also designed to keep longer with decreased risk of ferrotyping.
The new EASTMAN PLUS-X Negative Film 5231/7231 is optimized for an exposure
index of 80 in daylight (5500 degrees Kelvin) or 25 in tungsten light (3200
degrees Kelvin). The new EASTMAN DOUBLE-X Negative Film 5222/7222 is
optimized for an exposure index of 250 in daylight and 200 in tungsten
light.
"We are continuously investing in the development of new emulsion, support
and manufacturing technologies," says Herz. "We rely on our customers to
tell us how they want us to apply these advances to the design of new
products. They make it clear that they want to retain the tonal range
available with the current versions of these films, along with predictable
performance in recording black-and-white images with sharp depth of field
and major advances in ruggedness and durability. We have satisfied those
objectives."
The improved versions of EASTMAN PLUS-X Negative Film 5231/7231 and EASTMAN
DOUBLE-X Negative Film 5222/7222 are available worldwide in 35 mm and 16 mm
formats on standard 100 and 400 foot reels. For more information visit the
Kodak website at www.kodak.com.
#

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net