Re: Kallitype Permanence (was Real People)

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 03/12/01-02:25:14 AM Z

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Sandy King wrote:

> I rather doubt that there are a lot of vintage kallitypes out there
> masquerading as platinums, but on the other hand platinum toned kallitypes
> can have all of the same visual refernces as real platinum prints.

And I believe they would gain in permanence... When I did kallitype I
palladium toned a few -- very beautiful nearly black color.

As for indentifying prints that might be kallitypes -- what's the name of
that non-destructive method ??? My own theory is that nobody famous was
identified primarily with kallitypes, so none of them got enshrined where
we would see them. I make an analogy to gum printing -- which we see
*occasionally* in museum shows, almost always with big name attached:
kasebier, Steichen, Stieglitz, White...

If number of articles in old magazines is an indicator, many were made...
Tho there were even more articles on bromoil -- do we ever see a bromoil
in a museum? Maybe they're all labelled.... what? Pastel? Very curious.

Judy