Re: Kallitype Permanence (was Real People)

From: Gwen Walstrand (gwalstra@lib.drury.edu)
Date: 03/12/01-09:47:58 AM Z

I'm also very curious to have some consensus about exactly how to process
and tone Kallitypes/Van Dyke brown prints. My own VDB prints on Arches CP
(before they changed the paper) have faded and in a very unattractive way.
When printing on that paper, I also used a very weak selenium toning step
between the wash/dev. and the fixer step. The finished print had a nice
effect but was very unstable. Often, the selenium step would cause the
beautiful brown image to partially wash off into the toner. Not a good
sign....

I then found similar results by using the Stonehenge HP 90# paper without
the selenium toning step. These prints are only 1 to 1 /12 years old, but
seem to be surviving much better. I would love to test one of these prints
for longevity if anyone has a method to recommend.

Gold toning is not an option for me due to cost. Most of my prints are
16"x20" and would be very costly to gold tone. How does palladium toning
compare and how expensive is it? What's the procedure?

Thanks,
Gwen Walstrand