Re: Kallitype Permanence ( Leonardo)

From: Thor Bols (thorbols@hotmail.com)
Date: 03/14/01-08:03:27 AM Z

The subject of Leonardo's "Last Supper" is a curious one.  Its seems he used an oil-based paint in this fresco, a very rare, and disaster prone technique, for as we all know oil and water (the wet plaster) don't mix.  He must have had some kind of "plan", but art historians are hard pressed to come up with what is was.  In any event, the paint began flaking off almost immediatelty.  It certainly can NOT be said, though, that Leonardo was concerned about permanance, or he would have used a more established and time-proven technique.  Or maybe his concern was equal to those now using kallitype!

BTW, does anybody know if Leonardo has any other "conventional" frescos?