Re: Poor man's densitometer

From: Tom Ferguson (tomf2468@pipeline.com)
Date: 03/14/01-02:10:29 AM Z

> From: Judy Seigel <jseigel@panix.com>
> Subject: Re: Poor man's densitometer
>

> On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Tom Ferguson wrote:
>> Yes, there are a few facts that gets discarded in the "intuition"
>> discussions. One: if you work primarily on intuition, you must be able to
>> afford the cost of many mistakes. Two: if you work primarily on intuition,
>> you must be able to afford the time of many mistakes. Three: if you work
>> primarily on intuition, you must be able to afford the years needed to build
>> that intuition into a worthwhile tool.
>
> Thanks Tom.
>
> And let me add Four: If you work primarily on intuition, you have to be
> able to afford the brain power, effort and *attention* so required. There
> is absolutely no way that this intuition can be applied without effort or
> distraction -- except by an accidental knack, <SNIP>
>
> Getting the quick and correct data does NOT make me a copout or inferior
> person <SNIP>

Exactly!

> SNIP>
>
>> I have a good friend (a long time lurker on this list, yes I'm talking about
>> you John) who has the "intuition" thing down. He can hold a neg up to the
>> florescent fixtures in his studio ceiling and declare F8 at 16 seconds. A
>> few minutes latter he will have a &%^#$ good silver print. He can also do
>> this with studio flash lighting ("the voices say this should be F32....")
>> It is reallllllly upsetting to watch ;-(
>
> So does John think this -- what I'll call a *gift* -- makes him a better
> *photographer*?

No, this type of "gift" is great to have. It saves time and money
(materials). It is a fun trick to tease friends (me) with. But it doesn't
make anyone a "better" photographer. It is a way of working towards the
goal (the print). It can not be seen in the print, and thus is of no value
to the viewer of the print.

--
Tom Ferguson
http://www.ferguson-photo-design.com