Re: Poor man's densitometer

JohnSiskin@aol.com
Date: 03/14/01-07:41:02 PM Z

As the lurker Tom referred to I will throw in a few thoughts. Being able to
accurately guess an exposure does NOT make me a better artist in photography.
It is occasionally helpful when I forget a meter. It can save time in a
commercial shooting session, when I don't constantly remeter. BUT in most
situations I do make Polaroids, even in the field, even for personal work,
even when the Polaroid won't cover the whole image. I've made custom Polaroid
cameras for my Mamiya C330s & Nikon 35mm. A bad Polaroid will tell me more
than interpreting 20 spot meter readings, quicker too. I do the same in
printing, my guesses are good, but it's knowing how to interpret the guess
for the second print that is really a time saver.
In general my time is more valuable that a sheet of 8X10 paper or a piece of
Polaroid, or, for that matter a coated piece of cyanotype material. That
affects my style of working. I get more information from a test print or a
Polaroid than meter, so I try to get to that stage as quickly as possible.
Everyone needs to find there own effective method. If it works for you that's
great. But if your're trying something new, be willing to allow yourself time
for the learning process & time to play.
I will now go back to lurk. John Siskin