Poor man's densitometer

From: Dave Rose (photo@wir.net)
Date: 03/09/01-08:22:08 AM Z

Years ago I constructed a 'poor man's densitometer' using my Gossen Luna Pro
SBC light meter. To do this, I cut a small block of wood and shaped it to
fit snugly in the small window on the front of the meter. Then I drilled a
small hole through the wooden block, to allow measurement of very small
areas. The wood is held in place by rubber bands. I placed a step wedge on
my light box and measured/recorded the EV readings corresponding to each of
the steps. Now I can take similar readings from negatives, and determine
the approximate densities and overall density range of the negs.

It's a rather crude setup, but it works well enough for my needs, and the
cost was virtually nothing.

Best regards,
Cactus Cowboy
Big Wonderful Wyoming