Re: OT:Lubricating dark slides

From: Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Date: 03/18/01-09:37:46 AM Z

>The two plastic holders are very new. I bought them at an equipment closeout
>brand new for $5 each (2). Occasionally when I try to reinsert the
>darkslides there is a lot of resistance in the "throat" or opening of the
>holder. It then requires a lot of patience to insert the slide without
>pivoting the film holder open causing film fog.

It sounds to me that you may have something wrong with the light baffle and
this could be causing excessive pressure on the slide. I have worked with a
lot of older holders and the amount of resistance you describe would not be
considered normal even for least well built ones. I would suggest that you
open up the holder and see what is going on with the light baffle. It is
relatively easly to check the baffle with most older holders.

Sandy King