Re: OT:Lubricating dark slides

From: Don Bryant (dsbryant@telocity.com)
Date: 03/17/01-06:34:05 PM Z

Richard,
> Most older dark slides are made of hard rubber of a type called Ebonite.
> I've run into the same thing with some very old holders, I think its due
> to the wood having warped a little.

The two plastic holders are very new. I bought them at an equipment closeout
brand new for $5 each (2). Occasionally when I try to reinsert the
darkslides there is a lot of resistance in the "throat" or opening of the
holder. It then requires a lot of patience to insert the slide without
pivoting the film holder open causing film fog. The camera is an old
Folmer-Schwing which leaks a small amount of light thus increasing my
anxiety about the stiffness of the replacement of the darkslide and the
length of time required to get the slide back in place. The light leak is so
minuscule that it does not affect exposures that are less that several
seconds long. I learned the hard way that the camera leaks light when one
afternoon I had the darkslides out for several minutes waiting for the wind
to die down, but I digress here.

I've cleaned the slide channels with compressed air and that seemed to help
a lot with one of them but the other two just seem to "beg" for some king of
"lube". The wood holder is in very good shape with a metal film holder
septum. The darkslide channel for it appears to be aluminum.

Thanks,

Don Bryant