Re: the best school

From: Jack Fulton (jefulton1@home.com)
Date: 03/21/01-08:15:53 PM Z

  I must agree w/Gary Miller and Judy's points about taking workshops. Where
I teach in San Francisco, we have taught some form of a non-standard
photographic process since the early 1970's. It has been changed through the
years from VDB, Pl/Pd and gum, cyanotype, kallitype and salt. Now, we
primarily work with salt, VDB and cyano w/a tiny bit of Pl/Pd.
  We view this method of working within the medium as important as color or
use of a large format and encourage our students to at least take one
course. In fact, one I put together, Materials & Methods, does use cyano and
salt as primary foci.
  Some schools, as have been mentioned, indeed hold more faculty using such
processes than ours. However, there is a combination of the faculty, the
type of students which make or break a class w/their ideas, the atmosphere
of the city arena the institution is in and the health and variety of the
photographic community. Again, we feel, in the San Francisco Bay Area, we
have many of those various parameters in good amounts.
  There is no "best" school. Many of them are very good. Again, try some
workshops and become part of a circle of interested people. Travel to
Scotland and England and France to view original works. Create some art and
then decide.

Jack Fulton