Re: vols of peroxice

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 03/23/01-09:09:51 PM Z

On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, Jack Fulton wrote:
> >One person said an article said that: "article calls Hydrogen Peroxide
> >20vol equivalent to 6%" and none of us know what that measurement means.
> Hydrogen Peroxide is H2O2 and is a very dangerous substance in its 'pure'
> form.
> So in normal use it is diluted with (pure) water. The strength of this
> solution is shown in two ways.
> One is to give the percentage of HP in the solution and so a 6% strength
> would have 6 parts HP to every 100 parts of the solution.
> The other is in the form of a statement like '20 vol' which means that it
> will produce 20 times its own volume of oxygen gas.
> I have no idea whether 20 vol is the same as 6% though presumably such
> knowledge is available somewhere. Any pharmacist would know.

For what it's worth I have a scrap of paper in the file with some writing
on it that IS NOT MY HANDWRITING (don't have a clue, it's been there 15
yrs at least) so I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE if it's wrong, but it says:

3% = 10 volume
6% = 21 volume
30%= 100 volume

and, another paper which is my handwriting says drugstore peroxide is 3%
but that's vanished beneath the waves so if I had to produce it in a court
of law I'd need some time.

Judy