Re: Direct negatives from slides

From: Rocky (rocky@pdq.net)
Date: 03/24/01-03:59:27 PM Z

I have used Velvia in 35mm, most medium format and 4x5 to make enlarged b&w
negatives successfully. Since a slide has such a narrow latitude for proper
exposure, I found the exposure times for the enlarger to be pretty
consistent with the enlarger head height at a given for the format in the
carrier. I did experience some loss of detail as I expected even with new
Nikkor and Schneider enlarger lenses. I have used several different b&w 8x10
films and found most to be sufficient. Tri-X, Plus-X, Arista 125 and 400. I
use XTOL at 1:1
as I am allergic to Metol and can no longer use D-76 or HC-110 my favorites.
XTOL also has it's own advantages. I use a Unicolor Drum with a Bessler
rotary base and increase the development time for the ambient temperature
plus about 50%. I use a Edwards Engineering Black light 11x14 printer with
printing time about 5 or 6 minutes for Platinum/Palladium prints with B&S
coating materials on Crane 90# stock and Beinfang paper.

Being a sharpness freak I have now moved into an 8X10 camera. Now all I need
is more time to shoot.

This may be more then you wanted to know but, I believe in sharing all the
information. Any other questions please contact me. Hope this helps.

Rocky from Houston
rocky@pdq.net