Re: Direct negatives from slides

From: Randall Webb (randall.webb@lineone.net)
Date: 03/25/01-01:44:57 AM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: Sandy King <sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca>
Sent: Saturday, March 24, 2001 11:22 PM
Subject: Direct negatives from slides

> Does anyone on the list have experience in making negatives for
alternative
> processes directly from slides? If so I would like to know how this works,
> and in particular would be interested in a response to the following
> questions.
>
> 1. Does one determine the exposure for the slide material differently if
> the final goal is to make negatives from the slides.
>
> 2. Assuming the use of a 6x9cm camera and enlarged negatives to no larger
> than about 12X18", would there be any practical advnatage in either grain
> or sharpness to the user of a slow speed slide material of ISO 50 over a
> faster one of ISO 400.
>
> Other comments welcome.
>
> Sandy King >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sandy, you asked about contact negs from slides.
 No problem provided you you bear one or two things in mind.
1) A third to a half stop under exposure on the slide film might help.
2. Slide film has a much lower range of tones compared to B&W film.
3) If you project onto ortho film you will have a bit of colour blindness.
4) What's all this grain thing on old proc? I thought it went with the
territory.
It is important to remember ortho film has grain.
5) An alternative to colour slide is Agfa Scala - a black and white reversal
film.
Last week I re-worked the negative of the carbon print on the back cover of
Spirits of Salts. I projected a Kodachrome slide onto Macco lith film with
PQ dev and with one exposure/dev test strip and a bit of burning in the
shadows. I works fine apart from the fact that the original slide wasn't
very sharp.That was caused by slow film, long lens and a raging
angover.( Don't get a hangover in North Yemen as it is usually caused by
coming down from the drug qat on cheap whisky.) If I had a densitometer I
would have measured the net density.
As an aside you appear to do a lot of carbon printing. Do you coat your own
tissue?
Finally - -a warning. Nearly all Terry King's negs were derived from colur
slides and look where it got him.
Randall Webb