Re: Direct negatives from slides

From: Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Date: 03/25/01-08:41:01 AM Z

Tom Ferguson wrote:

>The biggest problem with this system is contrast. Transparencies are high
>contrast to begin with. Shot a low (for transparency) contrast film and shot
>mid to low contrast scenes. That is easy for me, as 95% of my work is
>studio.

Can one not control the contrast of the negative by exposure and
development as with regular development of B&W negatives. After all, the
contrast range of a chrome is much less than the actual contrast range in
nature? Or what am I missing here?

>I do change the "internal" contrast of a transparency with colored filters
>while enlarging onto the FP-4. Just as "in camera", if I have a scene with
>a red and green bottle, I can lighten the red bottle by putting a red filter
>over the enlarging lens.

Sounds very interesting and offers the possibility for a lot of control.

Thanks for your comments.

Sandy King