Re: Direct negatives from slides

From: Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Date: 03/25/01-09:10:36 AM Z

Rocky from Houston wrote:

>Being a sharpness freak I have now moved into an 8X10 camera. Now all I need
>is more time to shoot.

Having used 7x17 and 12X20 cameras for some years, and having just made a
significant investment in a new 12X20 camera, I consider myself something
of a sharpness freak as well. I love working with ultra-large format
cameras as they have a special and quite unique appeal. And in many
situations it is just about as easy to make a negative with this type of
camera as with one of smaller format.

However, when sharpness is the only issue (and Carl Weese may take issue
with me on this) I see little difference prints made from my 6x9 negatives
exposed with a Fuji GSWIII 6x9 camera and enlarged to 12X18, with contact
prints made directly form 12X20 negatives. Note, I said *little*
difference, as opposed to no difference. No doubt this is due in part to
the outstanding quality of negatives made with the Fuji GSWIII 6X9 camera,
which because of the large negative size and outstanding nature of the EBC
Fujinon SW lens really have no equal in the medium format area, not even
from the Hasselblad.

Sandy King