Re: Clearing Gum Prints

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 03/25/01-06:24:34 PM Z

On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, George Huczek wrote:

MYTH #3 OF GUM PRINTING -- THAT SOMETHING *BAD* WILL HAPPEN TO YOUR GUM
PRINTS IF YOU DO NOT CLEAR. Fact: THE CHROME LEFT (IF ANY) IS ALREADY
FULLY OXIDIZED..... IF WHATEVER TINGE OF ORANGE REMAINS DOESN'T BOTHER
YOU AESTHETICALLY (and I rather like it), IT WON'T BOTHER ANYTHING ELSE.*

I know you won't believe me, so put your print in whatever damn thing you
like, tho it's *possible* sulfuric isn't terrifically good for paper. Just
a long soak in water will also clear any residual bichromate... greener,
cheaper, safer, too... But folks WANT to do something, a FINAL touch, sort
of sprinkling with holy water just in case. I've heard it said that
regular fix will "clear", postassium bisulfate (and/or ite) is
traditional, and M. Ware & co say sodium sulfite. In any event, it makes
sense to give a reasonable rinse after you add this non-essential chemical
-- my guess however would be that the idea of loooong clearing bath at
this point is a holdover from washing fixer out of SG.

Like the buggy whip in early roadsters.

* long observed & suspected by yours truly, confirmed by Sil Horwitz a
while back.

Judy