Re: Direct negatives from slides

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 03/25/01-10:22:59 PM Z

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001, Tom Ferguson wrote:
> .... All of the enlarged neg systems have limitations. The neg to
> pos to neg is slow, uses lots of materials, and is farther removed from the
> original film. The chemical direct positive system require non "off the
> shelf" supplies and is very exposure sensitive.

Tom, don't forget Liam's reversal method -- I think that may have the
least "limitation" -- and is streamlined in final "one flash fits all"
version. It does require potassium dichromate and sulfuric acid, tho
neither of those is obscure. Especially if you're doing a lot, so you
get in the swing of it, maybe the least "removed" from the original?

As for neg to pos to neg -- a lot of materials? One extra sheet of lith
film? I think for someone just wanting a toe in the water to try, it's
pretty simple -- AND gives two cracks at adjusting contrast, once in pos,
again in neg. (We don't always get a second chance in life, ya know.)

I for one wouldn't dink around with reversing original film, as in those
kits for 35 mm. Expensive, sold only in large packs, limited shelf life,
etc.

Judy