Re: Clearing Gum Prints

From: Sarah Van Keuren (svk@steuber.com)
Date: 03/27/01-09:27:11 PM Z

> Now here you've got me : WHAT green stain? I've never seen a *green*
> stain in gum printing.... Tho when I cleared some paper "sized" with
> dichromate in gum arabic in a weak sulfuric bath, it did get a bluish
> stain I could never get out. Was a lousy size anyway, so i was happy to
> abandon it.... but, again -- *green* stain ???? Stain I've seen was always
> orange.
>
> best,
>
> Judy

Judy, if I have to print very hard to burn in dense highlights from a
pinhole negative, the resultant brown of the ammonium dichromate in the open
areas of the negative turns a blue-gray color when I 'clear' in sodium
bisulfite. Now that I have tried sodium sulfite (after getting wind of it
from P-F and the List and rejoicing that it didn't make me choke), I find
that the brownest areas remain warmer and could perhaps be considered
greenish. Now I have the option of a cool clearing or a warmer clearing ‹ or
no clearing at all.

Sarah