Re: Potassium vs. Ammonium Dichromate (was Re: Clearing Gum Prints)

From: Dave Rose (photo@wir.net)
Date: 03/28/01-11:35:59 PM Z

I suppose it is possible to mix combinations of ammonium dichromate and
potassium dichromate to fine-tune speed and contrast with gum, but I've
never tried it.

I'm not very familiar with platinum printing, but as I understand it, it's a
'one shot' printing, so you'd better get it right the first time because you
only get one chance. In that case, I can see how a fine degree of control
is beneficial, even essential. With gum printing, I'm building layers of
exposures on top of each other. A flat ammonium dichromate exposure will
complement a more contrasty potassium dichromate exposure (in certain
situations). So, given the multiple printing aspect and tremendous
flexibility of the gum process, I've never found the need for a super
precise speed/contrast control when making individual exposures. One of the
beauties of gum is that if your first exposure is too weak/strong or
flat/contrasty you can always compensate with subsequent exposures.

Contrast can also be altered in gum printing by manipulating the gum&pigment
to sensitizer ratio. My normal ratio is 1:1. If I mix 2 parts gum&pigment
to 1 part sensitizer the contrast will be increased. Or if I mix 1 part
gum&pigment to 2 parts sensitizer, the result is lower contrast.

The manipulation and control possible with gum is a fascinating topic. I
could go on and on, but I'll stop here.

Dave Rose
Cactus Cowboy
Powell, Wyoming - population 5,373.....the 15th largest city in Wyoming
(2000 census)