Re: Clearing part of a water color

From: Christina Z. Anderson (tracez@mcn.net)
Date: 05/01/01-08:35:49 AM Z

Nick,
     As a painter, I would decline this proposition because it is probable
that you would not like the next try. I would be really scared to paint
someone else's painting in the first place, unless you were to guarantee
payment even with dissatisfaction. However, the chances of coming up with a
better second try are less.
     That said, you probably did the right thing in soaking off the sky.
Any abrading of the paper surface will just make the next layer of paint
grab in all the abraded places, so DON'T scrub. The only thing you can do
is soak the color off. But there are colors that don't soak off well
because they are are more staining colors. It may be that problem that you
are having--the red in the sky, if alizarin crimson, is a staining color
(altho fugitive with time). Other staining colors are sap green,
phthalocyanine blue, etc. Some papers grab more and don't release color so
that may also be your problem.
     You can blot, not rub, with cotton or a sponge. Keep soaking and
blotting. Gum arabic when used in the paint mix will make a paint lift more
easily, but I don't know if soaking the gum arabic into the wet paper will
do the trick after the fact.
Chris
         There is no chemistry I know of that will "bleach" the color out of
the painting