RE: Bostick & Sullivan Circle

From: Eric Boutilier-Brown (ebb@hfx.andara.com)
Date: 05/01/01-03:39:13 PM Z

> 1. How long have you been working in photography? Favourite process?

14 years, and my favourite process is gum printing.

> 2. Influential teachers? Learned on your own?

Gary Wilson, Nova Scotia College of Art and Design, and Daniel Kazmerski,
friend and mentor.

> 3. Favorite photographers other than yourself?

Fredrick Evans, Walker Evans, Edward Weston, many others.

> 4. Process you'd like to learn -- someday.

Carbon, Bromoil.

> 5. Most embarrassing time with a camera in your hand. And don't
> say you've never had one!

Photographing a concert, began to get suspicious around frame 45...no film
in camera. The set was over, and John Cale, the headline act, was off the
stage. The one and only show. Working for a paying client too.

> 6. Worst disaster in the darkroom. You can't say you never had
> one here either!

Many of those, all involving messing up film processing. Most recent, while
working out processing 8x10 negs, I forgot to put the centre column in a
Jobo 2500 tank and fogged the film. I instantly hauled out the 8x10 to find
the light leak...ops.

> 7. Your first time shooting a nude, if ever?

1988, at 19.

> 8. What photographer, living or dead, you'd like to live a week
> in the life of? (David Hamilton does not count!)

In the life of? I wish I could have a week with Edward Weston, but living
as? No idea...not copping out, just the truth, no idea who I'd want to be.

> 9. Your dream camera? If you were Bill Gates, what would you buy?

Phillips 8x10, 150mm XL, a modern 240mm with lots of coverage, and a modern
360mm of some sort. Save the weight in the camera, and carry heavy glass,
basically.

> 10. If you could have any person in the world as a model for a day, who?
> Portrait, nude, whatever?

Nadine, the counter person at our local staples.

> 11. What questions would you ask here?

Hmm, no idea...just of a day at work, so I'm a little fried.

e.

Eric Boutilier-Brown
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Evolving Beauty