Re: Tripod heads for 12x20, etc.

From: Herbert C Maxey (bmaxey1@juno.com)
Date: 05/02/01-08:33:21 PM Z

>>You will probably get all manner of comments on this inquiry. It seems
>>be there are two reasonable alternatives to consider: 1) use the
sturdiest
>>head and tripod available, irrespective of weight, or 2) use the
lightest
>>combination that does the job. Choice of aluminium versus wood seems
>>irrevelant to me, except for romantic considerations

You should choose the best tripod that will do the job. Large cameras -
especially with long bellows extensions require a stable tripod. I use
either an Arri wood tripod or my Linhoff. It supports anything up to 11 x
14 and is relatively light weight.

You need to try several and see if their weight is something you can live
with.

By the way, Wood Tripods are very stable and wonderful to use. I wish
there were more manufacturers making wood tripods as they have many
benefits over metal.

B.