Re: Process Colours for Gum

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 05/07/01-10:34:54 AM Z

You ask this question as if you expected there to be *an* answer to it.
Everybody will tell you something different, I suspect. The most-often
recommended colors are Cadmium Yellow, Alizarin Crimson, and Thalo Blue.
I recommend against Alizarin Crimson, because even in its modern
formulation it gets the lowest lightfast rating from every manufacturer,
including (last I checked) W&N. Quinacridone red is more permanent and
an acceptable process magenta. That should give you a place to start,
anyway.

As for brands, Livick swears by his French brand, but I know for a fact
that beautiful color gum prints can be made using any quality artist-
grade pigments including W&N; it's not necessary to make things any more
difficult than that.
Katharine Thayer