Re: Process Colours for Gum

From: Dave Rose (photo@wir.net)
Date: 05/07/01-10:29:36 PM Z

Consider doing a combination Cyanotype/Gum print. Cyanotype provides hard
contrast and, when combined with Gum magenta & yellow, a beautiful, rich
black. I like to print the Cyanotype first. It gives such strong image
that the re-registration of the magenta and yellow negs is very easy.

I've used Winsor Newton's Permanent Rose with good results. Alizarin
Crimson works as well. Cadmium Yellow works fine. Many brands will work,
you're not limited to Winsor Newton. I've used Block X and Old Holland (dry
pigments) with good results. I prefer using dry pigments. The W/N dry
pigments are very good, but pricey, and come in small jars. Their Winsor
Blue is a good value - a little bit goes a long way. (I mix it at 1gram per
130ml of gum).

I don't have a lot of experience in three-color gum, but I've found that the
color is muted and subtle compared to a typical color transparency. A nice
effect for certain subjects.

Best regards from Big Wonderful Wyoming,
Cactus Cowboy