Re: Uranium Nitrate Sources

From: Herbert C Maxey (bmaxey1@juno.com)
Date: 05/09/01-02:44:28 PM Z

I have looked at some of my sources, and all I can find as far as a
source for the material is in a 1% solution. None of the big suppliers/
manufacturers I have looked at offer it in other than low concentration
solution. It is considered a particle emitter, and that might be part of
the reason why. Special licences might be required.

I know from my efforts to make lighting using Tritium sources, in which
all emissions are confined within the glass tubes, and sealed, there are
all types of hoops I would have to jump through. Radiation and its
control is a big issue these days.

Fisher lists it on their web site. BTW: Lots of chemicals are on Finer's
site that are not in their catalogs. I think one will have a hard time
locating the compound because it is or might be regulated.

There is a DOE operated plant at Rocky flats designed to convert Uranium
Nitrate solution into dry powder form and then store it safely. According
to the NRC Web Site, this process is tightly controlled and requires
extensive inspection.

Given this, and given the fact that I can't find a source for the powder,
It suspect the reason no one can locate a source is because it is too
tightly controlled, and without licences, no one can obtain it.

B.