Re: VanDyke, Van Dyck

From: Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Date: 05/10/01-02:13:39 AM Z

The Vandyke process has little in common with the vandyke print, and
neither is connected to the Vandyck gravure! F Vandyke was a colonial
civil servant in India who needed to print maps, and exposed a bichromated
gelatin layer on a zinc plate that could then be inked with a modified
lithographic ink and printed.

I think a certain confusion has crept in and at some point the brown print
or sepia print or water developed kallitype has got confused in some minds
with the Vandyke/Vandyck processes. Probably when some gallery owner or
ignorant critic wanted a fancier name.

We have a major show of what are described as 'silver salt prints' here in
London (ends Sunday) by Brassai which is perhaps the result of a not
dissimilar process.

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About http://photography.about.com/
email: photography.guide@about.com