Re: Longevity of Chromes...

From: Jack Fulton (jefulton1@home.com)
Date: 05/14/01-08:15:28 AM Z

Replying to B. Maxey's extensive writing:
> One good reason for longevity of Kodachrome is that they are images
> composed completely of dyes - no silver is left in the image.
This is true of all color processes. Silver is used to 'define' what areas
will have specific amounts of the primary colors. All silver is pulled out
through bleaching or fixing.
> Agfachromes also have good longevity, judging from some early material.
> Ektachrome and Fugichrome is another story. There are those that say they
> will last a long time and some who say differently. It depends on how
> accurately they were processed, storage conditions, avoidance of
> chemicals and solvents as well as sulfur from rubber bands that all
> contribute to the demise of a slide.

Here too . . the important thing is how they are processed.
I have worked with 35 mm Kodachromes of a friend's father who photographed
the 1939 World Fair @ Treasure Island in San Francisco.
Since I processed all my color film (virtually but for the few Kodachromes)
since the mid-60's I will attest to how they were processed. Careless
mixing, overuse of chemistry, poor cleanliness, are all attributes
contributing to less life for a color slide (slides in particular I speak
of).
I have NOT noticed better longevity in Agfa materials and have experienced a
"magenta-ing" of skies etc. in Ektachromes. I put all the blame upon myself
when errors occur.

When Henry Wilhelm first produced his book on color photography, I talked to
him few times about this and that in color. In particular I queried him on
the older Agfa process for prints. These were made on fiber paper in the
60's and 70's. He noted they were almost the worst for longevity.
Well . . I'd cooked up an "improved" process for the Agfa materials yet
washed and washed the finished material, even using hypo clear. The final
rinse included a bit of Formalin (37% formaldehyde) and I still have those
prints today. This makes me doubly support what Bob says regarding
processing care.

Jack Fulton