Re: Longevity of Chromes...

bmaxey1@juno.com
Date: 05/14/01-02:15:51 AM Z

>>How long do chromes last?

Depends on many factors. I have Kodachrome from the very early days and
they look as good now as they did the day they were made. My Kodachrome
sheet films are still good as well. When Eastman made Kodachrome prints
it was the same process, so they are still good. Incidentally, a
Kodachrome print was a print made using Kodachrome emulsion coated on a
translucent base.

However, I have some Kodachrome processed by Technicolor and another
non-Kodak lab (Drug Store - in the '60s) that have faded and shifted
color.

One good reason for longevity of Kodachrome is that they are images
composed completely of dyes - no silver is left in the image.

Agfachromes also have good longevity, judging from some early material.
Ektachrome and Fugichrome is another story. There are those that say they
will last a long time and some who say differently. It depends on how
accurately they were processed, storage conditions, avoidance of
chemicals and solvents as well as sulfur from rubber bands that all
contribute to the demise of a slide.

Finally, there is Illfochrome Color Micrographic Film. Absolutely no
grain, accurate color, extreme sharpness, estimated archival storage of
500+ years. However, at an ASA of about .005, not very good for most
applications and about the only stuff you can get is from suppliers who
stocked the material before Illford discontinued it. Simple P3
Processing, 35mm as well as sheet.

So the answer to your question is difficult. Film choice, storage
conditions, care in processing all affect the longevity.

B.