Re:Oxalate Potassium doesn't remain dissolved

alnovo@inwind.it
Date: 05/15/01-11:56:49 PM Z

> I dissolved 300g of Potassium Oxalate in 1000 ml of demineralized hot
> water (the one in supermarket).
> Everything was OK and the solution absolutely transparent but this
> morning, when I wanted to store the bottle, all the stuff is
> crystallized at the bottom of the bottle.
>
> Philippe

Pot.ox. monohydrate has a solubility of nearly 30% (30 g in 100 g of total <solute+solvent> solution). If you pour off the solution, can you weight the crystals and determine how much did not dissolve at 20°C?
Are you sure it is really pot.ox? If you have some potassium permanganate at hand, you can perform a simple (but not definitive) qualitative analysis.
Adds ome drops of pot.perm. to a warm and acidifyed solution (with sulphuric acid) of pot.ox. The pink colour should disappear after some tenths of seconds (this reaction is faster when more permanganate have reacted).

Alberto