Re: predictable Sabatier

From: Steve Shapiro (sgshiya@redshift.com)
Date: 05/16/01-01:48:43 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: <alnovo@inwind.it>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca>
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2001 10:42 PM
Subject: Re: predictable Sabatier

> > To control my Sabattier I make the exposure, emerse in the developer and
> > when the mid tones begin to appear put it back under the same light,
without
> > negative, for exactly 1/3 the time and derive perfect results e v e r y
s i
> > n g l e t i m e.
> >
> > If, on the other hand, the Mackie line is less defined or the overall
print
> > is too dark, I adjust accordingly by tenths from that beginning time of
one
> > third of the original time for a print projected through the negative.
At
> > minimum, the Sabattier is one third of one tenth of the actual exposure
> > time, but without the negative under the light.
> >
> > Steve Shapiro, Carmel, CA
>
> May you be more precise about which combination paper(or neg)/developper
is used, and if the paper/neg remains in the tray or not during the 2nd
exposure?

> Alberto

That's an interesting question. First, it doesn't matter what paper or
paper developer, anything to do with the negative developer is already doen.
I mean, we're talkinga about the Sabatier technique of reversing a print,
and using a negative already fixed to print the picture.

The part you ask about putting it in a tray is interesting, opens the door
for creativity. Some photographs have been made with water or the developer
agitating, making ripples across the picture which reproduces in the final
print. Otherwise, a wet print, on the easel without a tray can be messy.

Yes, when the mid tones begin to show, remove the print, and put it wet,
under the light, same aperature as was used to make the print you like, and
without the negative in place expose the developing print again with white
light only for one third the time used to make the print you like.

Any paper, any developer.

S. Shapiro, Carmel, CA