Re: 2 squares meter print

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 05/18/01-11:30:35 AM Z

Judy Seigel wrote:
> ... I wonder if it's better, or even as good as simply laying glass on
> glass.

I had two problems with glass on glass, which does not mean that this
method cannot be done. One, the glass still tends to flex. The "heavy
carpentry" should minimize this. Second, the glass on glass is very
difficult to move around. Not a problem if you use in a stationary
place with artificial lamps, but too much to take outside under the
sun. With the wood construction wheels, handles, whatever can be added
(or the cart can be used without fear of chipping the glass).

It might be even better to add a second piece of glass between the
substrate and "heavy carpentry" so as to be assured of a flat smooth
surface. The weight shouldn't mater because its on wheels. The surface
of the second piece of glass may be sandblasted so as to reduce
reflection from its surface, and omit the vinyl, and paint the plywood
flat black.

> ...the best contact
> (IME) is gained by having weights right over the image, not clamps.

True (as long as the glass is thick enough to not flex too much under
its own weight), but this limits one to working with the artifitial
lamps. A 2x2 meter lamp bank should cost a bit. I have had no problem
using perimeter clamps with a frame 24x48 inches (although this is much
smaller than the 2x2 meters).

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/