Re: 2 squares meter print

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 05/18/01-09:11:12 PM Z

On Fri, 18 May 2001, Jeffrey D. Mathias wrote:

> I had two problems with glass on glass, which does not mean that this
> method cannot be done. One, the glass still tends to flex. The "heavy

I'm using demi-plate, which I haven't noticed flexing, but then I haven't
used it in that humongous scale... frankly I don't think I could do a gum
print that big, unless I developed in a swimming pool which I lack.

> carpentry" should minimize this. Second, the glass on glass is very
> difficult to move around. Not a problem if you use in a stationary
> place with artificial lamps, but too much to take outside under the
> sun. With the wood construction wheels, handles, whatever can be added
> (or the cart can be used without fear of chipping the glass).
> It might be even better to add a second piece of glass between the
> substrate and "heavy carpentry" so as to be assured of a flat smooth
> surface. The weight shouldn't mater because its on wheels. The surface
> of the second piece of glass may be sandblasted so as to reduce
> reflection from its surface, and omit the vinyl, and paint the plywood
> flat black.
> > ...the best contact
> > (IME) is gained by having weights right over the image, not clamps.
>
> True (as long as the glass is thick enough to not flex too much under
> its own weight), but this limits one to working with the artifitial
> lamps. A 2x2 meter lamp bank should cost a bit. I have had no problem

And what if it starts to rain? But anyway in cases like this I figure my
TIME, at what I could earn, say, scrubbing floors, to decide if it's
worth making something to "save money," unless it's something I want to
make anyway.

The going rate for an English-speaking floor scrubber in NYC is let's say
$10 to $15 per hour. How many hours would it take an unskilled carpenter
to construct that light table, and how much would a table 12 feet wide
(assuming one had a place to put it) cost? 20 hours? At $15/hour that's
$300. Oh wait a minute. We're talking about a constructed frame more than
12 by 12 feet? Hey, that's bigger than a lot of apartments around here.
Bigger than the Staten Island Ferry. Bigger than Staten Island.

I withdraw from this project....

sorry,

Judy