Re: Gum Green

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 05/20/01-06:12:03 PM Z

On Sun, 20 May 2001, Katharine Thayer wrote:
> I think you'd want to check this out with a chemist. I wondered that
> briefly myself, but then realized that if it were that simple, the toxic
> waste treatment folks would have taken advantage of this feature long
> ago, they're not stupid people; and PG&E's ponds would have gotten less
> toxic sitting out in the California sun. Just because this reaction (UV
> decomposition of dichromate) works with a very small amount of
> dichromate in a thin almost dry layer, doesn't mean it would work the
> same in bucketsful mixed with lots of water.

I have no idea what's in PG&E's ponds, the color, or the total volume,
though I'd suppose thousands of gallons. I'm talking about, oh, I don't
know.... maybe a gallon. The dichromate + paint settle out quite nicely.
whereupon the clear water at top is decanted off, leaving a thin (if not
"dry") layer. I speculate the same for dichromate only.

However, the *settling* might be better done in a bucket, as having a
smaller foot print, and easier decanting, especially by siphon. I have one
sold for gas tanks, called "Jack Rabbit," which will go from floor to a
higher drain. Turn the handle and it "pumps."

Of course this leaves the question of the paint. What does the EPA say
about "artists colors," of which large amounts do go down the drain,
including possibly those southwest artists colonies ?

Judy