Re: Gum Green

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 05/20/01-10:15:41 AM Z

Judy Seigel wrote:

> d. exposing the still hexavalent dichromate to UV light should reduce it
> without resort to further chemical treatment.

I think you'd want to check this out with a chemist. I wondered that
briefly myself, but then realized that if it were that simple, the toxic
waste treatment folks would have taken advantage of this feature long
ago, they're not stupid people; and PG&E's ponds would have gotten less
toxic sitting out in the California sun. Just because this reaction (UV
decomposition of dichromate) works with a very small amount of
dichromate in a thin almost dry layer, doesn't mean it would work the
same in bucketsful mixed with lots of water.
Katharine Thayer