Re: alternative to collodion

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 05/22/01-12:56:22 PM Z

On Tue, 22 May 2001, Darryl Baird wrote:

> Perhaps it is "Black Magic" from the German Maco company. They supply a
> hardener for application to surfaces like glass. Go to:
> http://www.mahn.net/TABM.htm

A P-F#3 article on Black Magic Variable Contrast Photographic Emulsion
notes that Black Magic is distributed in US by Cachet, based in Santa Ana,
CA.

However, the "formaldehyde-free hardener", presumably chrome alum, costs
(or did then) $26 for 500 ml, which is absurd.

Note also that Kentmere (in England) makes Fotospeed LE-30, Silver Gelatin
Emulsion, and the Luminos, all presumably the same.

Everything I've heard to date suggests there is no silver bullet for SG
emulsion on glass.... it's fraught & mysterioso -- although beautiful.

Judy