ferrotype or tintype processes

Laszlo_Layton@spe.sony.com
Date: 05/22/01-06:03:29 PM Z

Hello.

I'm posting this message for help in researching the modern formulas and
materials that can be used to re-create the DRY-PLATE FERROTYPE or
TINTYPE process.

I would like to duplicate as closely as possible the look of the
photographs being created by Jayne Hinds Bidaut as seen in her book
"Tintypes". All I know from reading the book is that she uses dry-plate
rather than wet-plate collodion process; uses sheet aluminum as a base;
creates unique effects on each plate in part by how she prepares the
surface; and uses modern sheet film positives to print onto the
ferrotypes rather than use them in camera. It also mentions that they
are varnished--with the addition of lavendar oil to the varnish to keep
it from cracking.

I will be shooting with a 4x5 view camera as a starting point to
creating my images. I know very little about the darkroom process, so I
would really appreciate hearing as much detailed information as you can
possible offer!

So as not to bore the list, PLEASE write to me privately at either one
of my e-mail addresses.

Thank you!

Laszlo

laszlo_layton@spe.sony.com