Re: On filters

From: Steve Shapiro (sgshiya@redshift.com)
Date: 05/23/01-11:09:02 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: <bmaxey1@juno.com>
Subject: Re: On filters

> Jeffrey give good advice here. I must illustrate a problem with a
> personal example. This was years ago, and I was photographing some steam
> locomotives. I wanted a dramatic sky so I used a deep red filter. What I
> did not realize is the red filter removed some important information from
> the photograph - namely, a sign in the background that was printed in
> red.
>
> The photo turned out great except there was no sign visible.
>
> So, when you use filters, you must not concentrate just on the effects of
> the filter, but what that particular filter will do to other scent
> content.
>
> HCM

The interesting thing about filters, without going into the values found in
the spectrum as light strikes the film plane, is that they emphasize [make
dark in B&W photography] the same color as that which the filter is fixed
onto the lens.

The best color besides yellow, #8, #11, #15 (a sort of orange looking
filter, actually Amber) or the #43 Blue. It is that latter one that can
help in deep canyons or valleys, and making the sky dark.

S. Shapiro, Carmel, CA