re:chemigram

From: Jean Burdett (jburdett@chariot.net.au)
Date: 05/24/01-12:32:40 AM Z

Judy, thanks for the reference for the Cordier article. I am intending to produce relatively conventional chemigrams making use of light,but also wish to try a variation, where a silver gelatin image is produced without light. I could then combine these elements within images.

Christian, sorry i didn't respond to your question earlier. I hope this may be of some help. At http://www.cchem.berkley.edu/wljeme/chapt6htm.
There are instructions for producing arange of colours on black and white chemicals on the unexposed sections of paper by placing chemicals including thioucyanate on the surface of the paper as it is exposed. While this method can be used as a toning effect, it can be used to paint an image, using different combinations using different to produce colours.I understand the colour is largely determined by ph. This is the method Dominic Lam uses. I have ordered a stabiliser containing thioucyanate to try this method. A range of earthy colours can be produced by applying different combinations of developer, stopbath, and fixer, seperately or combined, onto photographic paper and placing in the sun. I believe this is the method Phil windsor (unsure about the spelling) uses. I used to have an adress for a large collection of his images,but seemed to have lost the link. I would apreciate any help finding it again.

 I personally am experimenting with applying household chemicals(water,bleach,lemon juice,m.s.g., vinegar) and conventional photochemicals to fixed and unfixed paper. i also achieve arange of blues by exposing paper to light and then fix without use of developer.The idea would be to use a contact print, to produce an outline, and then fill in with colour. Finances allowing, I may try using copper etching methods to produce a large stamp which would be used for applying the outline using photochemicals as ink. also i have used wax to chemically protect regions of paper. i dont know if any of that helps.

Birdie.