Re: Cleaning Old Tintypes

From: roger kockaerts (permadocument@yahoo.com)
Date: 05/24/01-01:57:08 AM Z

Dear list,

Ferrotypes or Tintypes have a wet or dry collodion
emulsion which is made of cellulose nitrate diluted in
a 50% solution of alcohol and ether. They are mostly
varnished.The use of one of the used components to
"clean" a tintype will ruin it.
Tintype emulsion mostly show minute cracks and
flaking.
With acquous or non-acquous treatments the used
solution can be transfered under the emulsion.
Remember that the base is iron! If you use water, rust
can/will be formed.
If your tintype is precious, please consult a
photographic restorer.

Greetings from Brussels,

Roger Kockaerts

--- "Robert W. Schramm" <schrammrus@hotmail.com> a
écrit :
<HR>
<P>I have cleaned old tintypes with distilled water
with a little liquid Ivory soap. Then rinse in
distilled water with a wash bottle. Dry with a hair
dryer set on low. I used a cotten ball to swab the
surface while it was submerged in the soap solution.
You want to be careful not to use too much pressure.
Photograph the image first. Do one as a test first.
Make sure you get it good and dry.</P>
<P>Bob Schramm<BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: Wijaya Sukwanto
<WIXTRON@PACBELL.NET>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Reply-To:
alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: "Alt-Photo-Process-L@Sask.Usask.Ca"
<ALT-PHOTO-PROCESS-L@SASK.USASK.CA>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: Cleaning Old Tintypes
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 02:11:22 -0700
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Anyone know any good method to clean
old tintypes? I tried PEC-12 and it totaly ruin it.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Jay
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV><br clear=all><hr>Get your FREE download of
MSN Explorer at <a

=====
Roger Kockaerts
Permadocument - pH7
Avenue de la Jonction 55
B-1190 Brussels
We invite you to visit our homepage at: <
http://home.tvd.be/cr25588/pH7>