Re: Piezography Revisited

From: Larry Roohr (lrryr@home.com)
Date: 05/26/01-10:24:34 AM Z

Hi Nick,

> Larry, some questions:
>
> 1. Are you still happy with the system?

Yup, havnt had time to do diddly for quite a while though.

> 2. What is the cost per print/neg, say 12X18?

I don't recall, I have seen estimates, I'll find out and post it here.

> 3. Are you making negs for zia and is that also working out?

No, I tried the pictorico a while back with the Epson driver and found the
curves nescessary to get a linear response were too extreme for me, you'd
need a really good high bit scan to have enough data to hold up where the
curve's slope takes off. I did not attempt Dan's color methods though (those
wouildnt apply to the piezo inks anyway). I bought the Piezo system in hopes
of handling the curves and was so happy with the prints I never looked back.
If I thought a material were out there that would work without wild curves
applied I'd go for it though, both for the longevity and that I enjoy hand
making prints. I've heard of Dan's continued success with the pictorico, so
perhaps I've missed something or didnt put enough sweat equity in.

> 4. What about longevity; effect on the prints by the sun?

My unsubstantiated opinion, gathered from reading other peoples (mostly
unsubstantiated) comments and test results, is that the Piezo inks are
better than any other inks available out there, as good or better than a c
print maybe, you dont want to hang them in the sun. They are certainly
nothing like a noble-metals print. Paper plays a heavy part in the equation
also. Many papers shift warm within a few days and then stay there.

BTW, piezo right now gives a warm toned to neutral print depending on paper,
I like it but others wish for colder tones. Jon Cone is working on a cold
tone ink set but I dont believe it's in the top of his cue.

Also, a gentleman named Paul Roark has worked out a system using the piezo
inks with Epsons driver that apparently (I havn't tried it) delivers
excellent results. He also mixes a blue pigment ink with one of the Piezo
inks and has a variable tone process worked out. His web site is worth a
visit just to check out his photographs so I'd recomend a look.
http://home1.gte.net/res0a2zt/photos.html

> 5. Are you actually selling B/W desktop prints?

No. If anyone would like a close up look at a Piezo print though I do have
an ongoing print swap offer open. Let me know if you'd (or anyone else)
would like to swap. I've gotten some very nice prints this way and have
something of a small collection going. That reminds me, Darryl, I'll pick
out that print this weekend <g> (I have been very busy).

> 6. Did you purchase the high volume reservoir system for your 1160?

Yes, wouldnt do without it. I also have one on another 1160 with the
generations color inks for every day printing, saves tons of money.

> 7. What paper/film are you using for negs?

None.

> 8. What paper/film are you using for prints?

I find myself using the Epson Archival Matte paper mostly. It has the least
color shift of all of them and is very sharp because it's so flat and
smooth. It's also very inexpensive.

BTW, I scanned in a resolution test chart negative, tested the print
resolution and got ~10 lpmm with this system, ymmv. Other papers available
have beautiful tactile quality's that I like but if your going to put them
behind glass that is moot.

> 9. Do you have any knowledge about results with other printers beyond
the
> 1160, ie, 1520?

The new Epson 7000 does really big prints, it's paper transport is rock
solid. It's expensive. I've heard the results are outstanding.

> As an aside, check out the comparison of an epson 3000 printer output
> with/without the Piezography technology - DON'T MISS THIS ONE.
>
> http://www.piezography.com/side-by-side.html
>
> My only other question is how does a similar result compare from some
other
> more lowly Epson model?

The 3000 has larger ink drops and lower dpi (I think) than the 1160,
according to some it produces the least sharp prints, but it makes big
prints also. Many people have had problems with the paper transport system
however. Artifacts show up with the Piezo driver that the Epson driver's
dither pattern covers up.

One more BTW. Another great aspect of this system to me is the speed I can
scan, tweak and print my 35mm stuff. We spent thanksgiving near Time Square
last year (ate about a ton of corned beef and pastrami, mmmm) and I was able
to almost get through printing what I wanted to print, without this system
the negatives would be sitting in that large pile in my darkroom.

> Many thanks,
>
> Nick

Sure thing. I'll see if I can find or figure some cost estimates.

Larry