experimental photography

From: Christina Z. Anderson (tracez@mcn.net)
Date: 05/26/01-11:14:20 AM Z

I hope this is not opening up a can of worms and more useless arguments, but
here goes: alt process is usually considered non silver stuff, correct?
Like platinum, palladium, cyanotype, van dyke, gum, etc. If you were to
write--which I am--an experimental workbook that did not include the usual
non silver processes which seem to be very well covered in print in the last
couple years (thank heavens! When I first started gum printing there was
hardly anything), what would be *your* choices of "must include"
experimental techniques? I know we have discussed solarization on this
list, and I have shared liquid emulsion, mordancage, reticulation,
lazertran, POP, cross processing, etc. info...but I am interested in any
ideas you have on your favorite experimental techniques. Also, is this
stuff considered alt process and should I be discussing it on this list? I
am including nothing digital in this workbook (it's geared to students who
have had color and BW photography but does not assume they have taken
digital yet, as, at our school, digital is not a prereq for all other
courses). I actually have about 40 methods covered already, but they
represent my choices of experimentation, and thought it would be nice to
survey you for faves.
     BTW, a book I just got on James Fee by St. Ann's Press has some
wonderful experimental stuff in it...
Chris