Re: pt/pd desktop negatives

From: Nick Makris (nick@mcn.org)
Date: 05/26/01-11:27:49 AM Z

From: "Tom Hawkins" <tomehawk@ix.netcom.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 26, 2001 9:44 AM

> Is anyone producing desktop negatives for pt/pd printing that are
comparable
> in quality to imagesetter output?
>
> If so, how (what printer, substrate, inks, software, etc.)?

Tom, as you may know, the word comparable is somewhat subjective. As I
think about the posts on this list I don't recall that many are doing
imagesetter output (I sure we'll hear from those who are). I for one can
create desktop (read epson 1520 with MIS Quadtone inks and Epson Backlight
Film) and Lightjet negs that produce PT/PD images that are quite nice (read
ok for most purposes including gallery sales but subject to my
standards/requirements). I don't have any fixations/requirements about
large format, tack sharp, technically correct in every possible respect. On
the contrary, my goal to to accept something less than those ideals with the
offset being the enormous flexibility that digital methods provide.

I could get carried away here, but let me just say that my photographic
efforts in the past have included making montage images where you register
several (or more) images to create something not obtainable in camera. This
involves making lith masks in registration and copying images onto a single
piece of film - potentially weeks worth of work that can now be done
digitally in 2-3 hours. I currently have the desire to contiue making
montages - hence my philosophy about tack sharp, etc. I'm trading off time
for something less than tack sharp (which most people don't appreciate
anyway).

The problem with the Lightjet negs is expense - they are however, of
somewhat higher quality than the Epson 1520 negs I produce. Hence my post
to Larry regarding the Piezography methods. You bring up a good question
though.

> The recent posts between Larry and Nick seem to suggest the Piezography
> system is not an acceptable method for making desktop negatives for
> platinum. Am I misreading this?

Larry, Can you elaborate on the problems with Zia negs and would someone
also comment on how closely aligned the Zia making may be to producing PT/PD
prints.

Many thanks,

Nick