RE: experimental photography

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 05/27/01-02:42:50 PM Z

On Sun, 27 May 2001, Jonathan Bailey wrote:

> Christina,
>
> I would also like to bring to your attention the fact that Christopher James
> has spent the last umpteen years gathering information for, and editing and
> researching - as well as using and teaching! - exactly the sort of book to
> which you refer....
>
> His book - entitled something to the effect "Alternative and Non-Silver
> Processes: Working Notes" - is due on the shelves in a matter of a month or
> two (maybe even by the time Judy's next issue arrives in the mail -
> *KIDDING* Judy!!)....

I refuse to believe that Jonathan. I mean when you say "due on the
shelves," well, if THAT'S the operative date, I AM WAY AHEAD OF HIM.

As for books about "alternative" processes: it's like cooking, if you're
into it, you want all -- while you have an onion and a bottle of sesame
oil, you can't have too many cookbooks. Chris should do her own -- more
fun for her AND her students -- but survey the lit, too. There are at
least 40 books on the theme from the 70s through 90s, in fact starting in
the '50s with OR Croy in Europe (which we used to pick up for $2 at A
Photographer's Place because they were so tacky LOOKING), each of which
imparts something. From the sound of it, however, Christopher James's is
going to be special. Besides the info, it has an awesome number of
illustrations, old and new. (Who wouldn't want to *see* them -- even a
totally straight silver gelatin printer!?)

Judy