Re: geeky Piezography/Pictorico density data here

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 05/30/01-10:45:07 AM Z

Smieglitz@aol.com wrote:
> ... the Cone piezography quadtone inks printed onto Pictorico OHP run on an
> Epson 1160 today (see below). ...
> The original RGB file was converted to grayscale mode and then printed using
> the Piezography Photoshop export plug-in @100% ink and Epson glossy paper
> selected as the media.

Do you mean OHP film or glossy paper? I am confused for a moment, but I
am assuming that you printed on the Pictorico OHP film using an Epson
1160 and Cone products which was subsequently coated with a layer of
Krylon acrylic.

> Anyone know an easy way to correlate % black to the 256 levels in
> Photoshop? Is it linear ...

Make a step gradient of 1% increments of K values of identical width.
Use the info window. As each pixel is pointed to, the %K and RGB values
are displayed. Unfortunately the K value is only given to the nearest
1%. It does not seem linear.

> Stauffer step=net density=printed % tone on pictorico OHP matching net
> density of Stauffer wedge
> 08=1.08=95%
> 13=1.79=100%
>
> This second set is:
> printed % tone on Pictorico = net density
> 95%=1.08
> 100%=1.77

If not calibrated, the Stouffer step (if a T2115) should still be close
to their data found at the following link:
http://www.stouffer.net/specific.htm
Your measurements seem close enough.

A maximum density of 1.77 will likely not be enough, but two in
registration may be worth checking out. I would like to see how this
would print in Pt/Pd. Would you send me two identical small step
gradients with several steps of known printed tone including 100% and
0%? They can be similar to a Stouffer in size, if you wish to save
materials. I will let you know results and can send the prints to you
for your evaluation.
address:
16 Ferdinand Street
Melrose, MA 02176