Black Spots in Ziatype

From: Nash Computer Technology (nashcom@btinternet.com)
Date: 05/30/01-03:08:34 PM Z

Hi

The other night I tried to make around five ziatypes from the same negative.
Of these, three were spoiled by a tiny black mark on a light area of the
print. The marks were in a different place on each print, and were the size
of a pin-prick.

I'm not sure what caused these. My first thought was dust, but I assume
that dust would cause a white spot. I couldn't see any marks on the neg,
and in any case the spots were in a different place.

Could it be a problem in the coating, although I would have expected to see
more, and or larger spots?

Or maybe the prints are picking up something when being cleared? I clear
them in open trays, with changes of citric acid and water.

Any ideas would be most welcome - I may need to carry out more 'print runs'
and it can be frustrating when it takes more than an hour to make a print,
only to find a small but annoying flaw.

David Nash