Printing Stained Negatives

From: Sandy King (sanking@CLEMSON.EDU)
Date: 11/01/01-06:41:16 AM Z

Clay,

I agree with Witho about the stepwedge. Comparing prints with a
regular stepwedge and one developed in a staining developer is is the
only real way to know how a stained negative will print with a
particular process. If you have access to a color densitometer you
can come close to the printing DR of a stained negative if you read
densities with the blue channel. However, the final DR indicated by a
densitometer is only an approximation to the actual printing DR, and
in some cases could be off quite a bit from reality.

When using any of the staining developers (PMK, ABC+ or Pyrocat)
avoid over-exposure like the plague. The stain functions as an
actinic filter and over-exposure by one stop or more can result in
very long printing times. I base exposures on an incident reading in
the shadow but double the EI of the film's nominal ISO. That is, I
set the ISO of my meter for HP5+ at 640 instead of 320. With this
technique I get full shadow detail but avoid over-exposure.

Sandy King