Re: step wedges; POP and gold toner

From: M Rueff (rueff@ncrvnet.nl)
Date: 11/02/01-04:10:55 AM Z

> Also: I am printing on Centennial POP. The brochure that came with
> it says to replenish the gold chloride toner after one 8x10 print. I
> cut my 8x10 sheets into four rectangles, so I thought that I could
> tone and fix four of these small prints, one after the other, before
> I had to replenish. But, that doesn't seem to be the case. After two
> prints, the toner is exhausted and doesn't replenish easily by adding
> 6mls of solution A and B, as advertised. I am wondering if I should
> hold all four prints in water and then tone them all at once in the
> gold toner? CAn you do that?
>
> --shannon

Hi Shannon,

Do you pre-rinse your prints before toning?
It's very important to get rid of the excess of silver-nitrate in the paper
before you process your print. The movement of the water should be slow, as
the brochure says, but it should be strong enough to wash away the
"milkiness" that appears in the tray from the silver-nitrate reacting with
the chlorine in the water.
If it takes more than a one-minute pre-wash to get rid of the superfluous
silver-nitrate, that's o.k., but don't rinse it too long and keep an eye on
the temperature of the water.

Yes, you can tone all 4 pieces at once. But the difficulty that arises when
you do that is that it's harder to "pull" each one of them at the right
moment to get exactly the color you want the prints to have. It should have
no effect on the toning and the replenishment, if you're processing one at
the time or all four at once.

In my brochure it says to use 8 ml. A and 8 ml. B for every 8"x10". But this
paper is an old one (1995) from the time the POP wat made by another
manufacturer. The "new" Centennial reacts quite differently. Still, the
quantity of replenisher must be seen only as a guideline and the actual
amounts of replenisher should be determined through doing a lot of
POP-printing. How much replenishment is needed depends on many factors, and
only experience can tell you how much is needed.

Michael