Re: Digital photography musings

From: Nick Makris (nick@mcn.org)
Date: 11/02/01-11:52:14 AM Z

Dick,

Your post sounds vaguely familiar - didn't you do one of these before?

My own take on this subject covers a fairly wide spectrum, "tools to purists
to downright reluctance".

The issue of bad work has been with us since the beginning, those that do
well will fair well and those that do not will fall through the cracks.
General acceptance has been the way and will always be the way. Who knows,
perhaps the public will come to accept the mediocracy you speak of - though
I certainly hope not.

True, the digital phenomena has brought about a plague of would be
artists/photographers. I for one find it a godsend - earlier in my career
it was not uncommon for me to spend 2 weeks making a montage for some
commercial project. Now, it is a fairly straight forward process and can be
accomplished in a matter of several hours or less. The application of image
creation has been forever enhanced.

I characterize the capabilities of digital manipulation as wonderful tool
and expedient. After all, it comes down to a matter of the creation of an
image as envisioned by an artist through the use of the available and most
useful tools. Adams comes to mind - how many of his images were in essence
straight photos with no manipulation or no use of tools to make the image
something it was not? I can think of numerous analogies in the world of
art. It's the degree of usefulness and the resulting acceptance that's
important.

It's no different with digital. It's just another tool - you have to get in
there and find out how it works for you.

My 2 cents.

Nick